August 2019 Newsletter
Hello Golden Angels!
Just a reminder that our August Social will be held on Friday, August 9th at 5:30 pm in the St. Augustine room. The Golden Angels will provide chicken, members bring sides and desserts please. Our BRAND NEW PASTOR, Fr. Wood will be joining us as our special guest. After supper, we will play bingo for some “exciting” prizes! Please join us! Sign up sheet is on the table in the Narthex.
Do you know anyone over 50 who is lonely? Or not able to get out much? Or who doesn’t drive anymore? If you do, why not put on your Discipleship hat and invite them to our next social as your guest??? We would love to meet them!
The August cookie Sunday will be on August 18th. If you can help or donate cookies, please contact Vinola Smith at 732-4760.
Sr. BJ has opened an eyeglass pantry and needs used eyeglasses and cases. If you have any you can donate, please bring them to the Parish office and label them: Sr. BJ eyeglasses.
Our scheduled field trip to Shawnee, planned for August 6th has been canceled due to lack of participants. We will plan another outing this fall and see if anyone wants to go. If you have any suggestions for trips, please let us know.
We are also planning a Painting Party in September, exact date still to be determined. We had planned to hold one in August, but our leaders, Sue and Mike Kraus aren’t available this month.
Pope Francis’ Five Finger Prayer
- Thumb: Family and Friends. Your thumb is the finger that is closest to you. Start by praying for the people in your life who are closest to you. Pray for your family and friends. Pray for your parents, your grandparents, your sisters and your brothers, your aunts, uncles, cousins, and closest friends.
- Index Finger: Teachers The finger next to your thumb is the index finger. We use this finger for pointing. Pray for the people who point you in the right direction. Pray for your teachers, coaches, catechists, tutors, priests, and anyone else who teaches you.
- Middle Finger: Leaders Your middle finger is the tallest finger. For this finger we pray for the leaders of our country, our world, and our Church. Pray for the pope and his continued leadership of the Church. Pray for the leaders of our country to have the wisdom and judgment to lead us well.
- Ring Finger: Sick and Poor Our ring finger is our weakest finger. We can’t move it without the help of our other fingers. For this finger, pray for the sick who need help and healing. Pray for the poor and suffering who need God’s comfort and help too.
- The Pinky Finger: You Finally, for the smallest finger of all, pray for yourself. Jesus taught us to be humble so we pray for ourselves last with our pinkie finger. Place your greatest needs before God in prayer.
Happy August everyone!