The Family Life Center of St. Philip Neri Catholic Church and School in Midwest City was formally dedicated on Thursday, November 10.
The Most Reverend Paul S. Coakley, Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City, presided over the ceremony. The ceremony included a blessing of the building. The program was moderated by Father Timothy Fuller, current pastor of St. Philip Neri. Honored guests included former pastors, Father Jack Feehily and Father Charles Murphy along with school principal, Brenda Tener.
The ceremony was attended by 400 parishioners and students. The procession was led by over a dozen Knights of Columbus. The school choir performed “God Bless America”, and Midwest City Chamber President, Wade Moore, made a proclamation on behalf of the city chamber.
Archbishop Coakley extended his words of congratulations and praised St. Philip Neri for “fostering an education in faith and extending parish life,’” with the new 24,000 square foot building. His Grace continued, “This Family Life Center highlights the faith and the mission of St. Philip Neri in Midwest City.” Father Fuller added that the project would not have been possible without the foresight of the prior pastors who were able to accumulate the surrounding properties to build the Family Life Center.
Housed inside the Family Life Center is a full-size gymnasium, four meeting rooms, industrial-sized kitchen and concession stand. The school has never had a full size basketball court. Prior to Family Life Center, sporting events were hosted in a half-court activity center.
“Well, here we are.” Principal Brenda Tener stated. “The day has finally come. St. Philip Neri has been blessed with so many good and faithful people. Even though buildings come and go, our hope is that our students have the foundation to become good and faithful people as well.”
UPDATE: On Dec 4, the FLC was named in honor of Fr Fuller. See more photos in the Sooner Catholic article at http://www.archokc.org/past-issues/current-issue/1503-sooner-catholic-12-25-16/file